Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Carrying a Concealed Weapon

  I wish we lived in a world where our citizens didn't have to worry about protecting themselves or their neighbors, but we do. I pray no one will have to go through what my family and I have gone through.  As a deputy, I have been required to use my weapon to protect the public.  Unfortunately I’m sure some law-abiding citizens will likewise face situations where they will need to use a weapon to protect their families and neighbors. I’m certainly not going to keep one of our good citizens from having the ability to protect himself, his neighbors or our families in a time of crises and violence. 


I, like you, have heard all the rhetoric on both sides of this debate. There are always extreme examples for why people shouldn't carry guns and why people should be allowed to carry guns. But what doesn't change is the reality that, sadly, a lot of times bad guys have guns. Until the day comes where we don’t have to worry about bad guys having guns then good people are going to have to step up and help protect one another until we in law enforcement have a chance to get there and take over. I believe that if you have no mental health problems, no criminal background which precludes you from owning a gun, and you have the physical and mental ability to operate a firearm safely, then everyone should have equal access to obtain a Concealed Weapon Permit.

9 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The way it should be. Thanks Pat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for understanding that we have a Second Amendment right to bear arms, as well as a natural need to protect ourselves. Police are here to try their best to protect us. However, although police are here to help us they cannot teleport to our exact location and save us from evil within a second. It takes at least 60 seconds to get out a phone, dial 911, wait for an answer, tell the person what is going on, and for the officer to receive the information. When it comes down to the wire and there's no time to wait, we need to be able to take the responsibility to protect ourselves. Much respect from me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can support almost any official who wants to empower citizens and not further the state of dependency created by so many others. I support Pat Withrow for Sheriff!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pat. With your statement on CCW, I and my family and friends will support you 100%! Finally we can get a Sheriff who realizes that the only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a "good" guy wth a gun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Finally someone in California law enforcement that gets it. That haven't compiled the numbers for 2013 but according to a statement from Lodi PD in 2012 they responded to almost 13000 calls for disturbances or suspicious circumstances. Now obviously not all of these were violent encounters but that's still almost 1 call for every 5 people in the city. And average response times were close to 5 minuts. Even if only 25% of those calls were legitimate threats that's still roughly 1 in 20 people potentially needing to protect themselves or their families for 5 minutes before the PD is on scene in "livable, lovable Lodi". Thank you Pat for bringing some common sense to the sheriff's office, you have my vote.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad to hear that somebody has the fortitude to stand up for "us". Being a business owner and living in the country, I think it is a necessary "evil" to protect ourselves. I do carry legally and have the mind set that if it becomes necessary to carry illegally I will. I am a responsible Christian adult who does not wish harm on anyone, but hearing the news about more and more elderly women being targeted, I want to know that I at least have a fighting chance to protect myself and family. Keep it strong, and protect our rights! Thanks, you have my vote.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have always respected the law and have been a law biding citizen my entire life. It's good to see that Mr. Withrow is finally going to be a Sheriff that respects and thinks that this behavior should be rewarded.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have had a permit and carried legally in another state and know how much safer we felt and indeed were. This is great news for the law abiding citizens of CA. You get our vote!

    ReplyDelete